Simplicity with an idea
Cooking just like writing is a creation something to make someone happy. I am not a fan of spending the half life in the kitchen because there are many other things to do. The dish can not be boring and as simple as possible to perform.
For many years I was culinary zero. I also don’t eat meat. I’m not a typical vegetarian. Just as a student I wanted to save money on a trip and stop eating meat. I also discovered that eating healthy does not have to cost much. Still don’t eat meat but I like to cook meat dishes for others.
The subject of cooking appeared for the first time one afternoon in the huge kitchen of my French friends in Mougins (French Riviera). Celine was a heavenly patient instructor. Thanks to her I learned to prepare miracles like chicken in wine, kish and blanquette of veal. In France preparing meals and eating with friens is the main thing in the every day agenda.
When I moved to Paris, I discovered that many French dishes just seem to be complicated. The key to the success is the freshness ingredients and the pleasure of making the dish.After a few years in Paris, I trained well enough to organize Foodie Tours of Paris and French cooking Class.
Now with a lot of humor I prove that kitchen does not know borders and nationality. Rule number one is not to fall into monotony. Rule number two is freedom to combine the best of Polish, French and American cuisine.
In the American Kitchen I bake Polish bread. In the French cuisine I make Polish tomato soup, in Poland I bake French Tarte Tatin. Compose ingredients so that the dish gives energy, burns unnecessary kilograms. If needed, improves the mood or give appetite for sex.
My favorite recipes
Each one is another story…
The best Parisian hot chocolate
Hot Chocolate is the only way to survive Parisian gray weather with humor and energy.
You need :
– someone to cooperation in making chocolate and drinking chocolate
– good music who gives the rhythm to mix ingredients for the chocolate. I don’t recommend the French classics like Edith Piaf in this case. Serge Gainsbourg can work but Springsteen is the best
– kitchen in Paris, the best in the Latin Quarter. In this district is located the chocolate temple called Un Dimanche a Paris. I trust only chocolate from that pastry store. It’s chef, Pierre Cluizel and his team knows everything about the chocolate. You need 6 ounces this magic chocolate
-a medium-sized pot
– 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
– 3 cups milk
– Lightly sweetened whipped cream
– pinch of cinnamon and vanilla
To make it :
Break the chocolate into small pieces. For this action the Beethoven symphony is the best. Bring ¾ cup of milk to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
Whisk in 3 Tbsp. cocoa powder until no lumps remain, add milk and return to a simmer. Whisk in chocolate and sugar and cook. Whisk frequently. Add cinnamon. Again whisk frequently. Here you need Bruce Springsteen until mixture will be smooth and creamy and chocolate is melted. It takes about 5 minutes so piece Dancing in the Dark is perfect for.
Divide hot chocolate among mugs. Top with whipped cream and dust with cocoa powder. Go onto the balcony and enjoy the view of Paris drinking your parisian chocolate. If you are in New York, Atlanta or in Krakow enjoy the view of these cities drinking your parisian hot chocolate.
The Tarte Tatin
It’s autumn. Time of falling chestnuts from chestnut trees and apples from the apple trees. Want to surprise your friends and family with a delicious apple pie in the lead role? Nothing easier. Make a Tarte Tatin.
The history of this French pastry proves that brilliant things sometimes happen by accident. Is the year 1880. Sisters, Caroline and Stéphanie Tatin are running a small hotel and restaurant 160 kilometers from Paris, in little town called Lamotte-Beuvron. As the older, Caroline is busy with the hotel guests, Stephanie work hard in the hotel kitchen. One day she is so busy with preparing other dishes and she forget about the apples she left in the pan with sugar and butter on the fire. She had a plan to make a traditional apple pie but there is no time for this!
When she feel the apples are burning, she just cover them with the prepared pastry and hurried into the oven. When she pull it out of the oven, she reverse it upside down. That’s how is served a few minutes later. Imagine her surprise when the hotel guests instead of criticizing her for the unsuccessful baking love this “reversed upside down ” cake.
Since then, the Tart Tatin has been consistently reigning among French pastries. Even more, become a national pride throughout France. Owner of the famous Maxim restaurant in Paris, Louis Vaudable, discovered Tatin pie during a hunting meal served at the Tatin Hotel.The cake delighted him so he asked for a recipe. His request was politely rejected by two sisters. He didn’t give up. Sent one of his confectioners to Lamotte-Beuvron. He pretended to be a gardener looking for work. The sisters hired him in the hotel garden. He discovered the secret of making famous cake. Since that time all of France began to bake Tatin Tart and baking it until today.
There are many related cakes, but this original Tatin Tart have been under special protection since 1978 by the Brotherhood of “Lichonneux de la Tarte Tatin”. Their mission, not without humor, is to “respect the traditional recipes of the famous Demoiselles Tatin dessert”, “fight against culinary abuses” and “criticize heretics”!
For the very first time this legendary cake I tryed in a small old pastry shop near the Elysee Palace in Paris. I fell in love with the taste and the smell. Since then, I have been studying all the details about this pie baking and when I was ready I decided to do it in my Parisian kitchen. When you are caramelizing apples you have the impression that this caramel is too much. A small moment of inattention and caramel instead of brownish may burn and your kitchen can turn on a fire alarm. It happened in both, Parisian and Florida cuisine when I made it. Then you have to reverse so that the caramel does not spill anywhere. Take a deep breath, make it with a vigorous movement and … it’s ready! Like magic – In front of you beautiful cake with beautifully dipped apple caramel pieces. And this smell, it’s just poetry! Neither in Florida nor in Paris, everybody loved this cake and its history as well as me. Try it too.
Total preparation time : 50 min.
Baking time : 25 min.
7 medium apples: 4 Cox, 3 Granny Smith
200g white sugar
175g ready-made shortcrust pastry
225g plain flour
2 tbsp caster sugar
120g cold butter
1 medium egg, beaten
cinnamon or vanilla
When choosing apples for a tarte Tatin, it is important to pick some that will hold their shape while cooking, and not melt into apple sauce
How to make it?
1. Peel, halve and core the apples, then put in the fridge, uncovered for 15 min.
2. Put the sugar into a heavy-based ovenproof frying pan along with 50ml water. Leave to soak for a couple of minutes, then cook over a medium heat until it’s golden. Take off the heat and stir in the butter, and a pinch of salt, until well combined, then arrange the apples in the pan, round-side down, bearing in mind the caramel will be very hot, and put back on the heat. Cook for 5 minutes, then take off the heat and allow to cool completely.
3. If making the pastry, sift the flour into a large mixing bowl. Add the sugar and a pinch of salt. Grate in the butter, then rub together until it is coarse crumbs.
4. Mix the egg with 2 tsp cold water and sprinkle over the mixture. Mix together into a soft but not sticky dough, adding more water if required. Shape into a ball. Then cover with clingfilm and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes before rolling out.5.
5. Pre-heat the oven to 200C. Roll out the pastry to 5mm thick, and cut out a circle slightly larger than your pan. Put back into the fridge to rest.
6. Put the pastry on top of the pan and tuck in the edges around the fruit. Bake for about 25 minutes until the pastry is golden, then remove from the oven. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then place a plate, slightly larger than the pan, on top and then and very carefully, using oven gloves, invert the tart on to the plate.
Now taste this exquisite cake by serving it with a jar of vanilla ice cream.
Baking bread in Florida
Florida has beautiful beaches, amazing fragrant flowers and heavenly birds.The only thing that you will not find in Florida is a normal bread.The same in the all United States. When a friend showed me what they sell in supermarkets like Publix and others as a bread it was something that looked like a sponge to wash face but not a bread. Instead this I bought the flour and yeast. From now on every morning I baked little breads according to the simplest in the world polish recipe. The Florida kitchen began to smell beautiful freshly baked bread. One time I put a few raisins to the dough for this bread, another time some oatmeal and the breakfast tasted good!
I was proud of this bread especially when I made sandwiches for a easter picnic on the beach. I guess even the dolphins smell the sandwich because I saw them for the first time during this picnic. The best proof how this recipe is simple is now my friend bakes the little breads in Florida for his father.
You need :
500g strong white flour, plus extra for dusting
2 tsp salt
14g fast-action yeast
3 tbsp olive oil or butter
Optional : raisins, oatmeal or herbs
How to make it :
PREP: 20 MINS
COOK: 25 MINS – 30 MINS
Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7.
1) In a large bowl mix well the yeast with water.
2) Mix well all remaining loose ingredients and butter/olive oil, raisins in a large bowl. Add water with the yeast constantly stirring.
3) Tip onto a lightly floured work surface and knead. Once the dough is satin-smooth.
4) Leave to rise for 30min. until doubled in size.Preferably in a warm sunny place if you don’t have as much time put in a microwave for two minutes.
5) From the dough form small breads. Cut a cross into the top of the each one with a sharp knife.
6) Prepare the baking sheet. Grease the butter and sprinkle a little flour. Put the small breads on it and put into the oven for 25/30 min.
7) Remove from the oven when they are browned.
They taste good with butter but you can serve them with anything you want!
The cake of victory
It was a gloomy rainy evening in Paris.But this evening was so important because it preceded the historic night of American presidential election. The situation didn’t ook good. At 22 o’clock we had to go with my American friend to the election night in the House of the French Radio. I was sleepy about 19 o’clock.
I knew that only chocolate and almonds would help here. I decided to make chocolate cake but not a boring one. The occasion was too special. I got the idea to combine recipe for French moelleux au chocolat with recipe for Polish chocolate cake called funny the Negro. When I extracted it from the oven it was too hot to eat and we had to leave home.
But the next day with this cake my friend celebrated the victory of Donald Trump. It was so delicious I decided to bake it also for celebrating the election in one of the Paris bars a few weeks later.
When we drove with this cake in the Paris metro everyone wanted to see what is in the box because it smelled wonderful and this is very unusual in the Parisian metro. Fortunately we arrived at the bar without a crash cake.
When I started to give a piece of cake to all people at the bar, all the journalists started to photograph this cake and ask about so the cake became famous all over Paris. Who know, maybe even Emmanuel Macron wife bake it in hope political succes her husband ?
You need :
– 1 cube of butter
– 1.5 cups of sugar
– 3 teaspoons of cocoa
– 1 dark chocolate
– 1/2 cup of water
– 1 dough aroma (best is vanilla)
– 2 cups of flour
– 4 eggs
– 2 spoons of baking powder
How to make :
In a saucepan boil butter with sugar and cocoa and chocolate, then add water.
2) Pour half of the glass from the chocolate mixture you made. Cool down.
3) Sift flour together with the baking powder, add to the toppings together with the eggs, mix well.
4) Bake for 50 minutes at 180 ° C.
5) After baking, pour the rest of chocolate glaze over and sprinkle with almonds
Simple and Ready to give you pure joy !